March is National Nutrition Month (NNM), a chance to celebrate eating well and enjoying the food that nourishes us. Started as a weeklong nutrition education campaign in 1973 by the American Dietetics Association (now called the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics), it became a month-long event as Americans’ interest in nutrition grew.
The theme of this year’s campaign is “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right.” Generally, themes reflect social trends. In 2007, for example, National Nutrition Month’s “100% Fad Free” campaign focused on developing lifelong healthy eating patterns instead of focusing on short-term (often unhealthy) quick fixes. This year, NNM’s theme shines a light on the cultural and social aspects of food, as well as its nutritional qualities.
Top 5 Ways to Celebrate National Nutrition Month
1. Gather a group of family or friends and prepare a meal together. Cooking and sharing food is a great way to bond and to experience the social aspect of food.
2. Try a new restaurant (or cook a meal at home) with foods from a different cultural tradition than your own. Enjoy learning about how different cultures use certain ingredients, and reflect on any similarities and differences you notice between that cuisine and the foods you generally eat.
3. Spring is almost here! Break out of your gym rut and head outside to enjoy the fresh air. Sign up for a 5K or take a walk with friends. Aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
4. Visit a farmer’s market in your area. Food doesn’t just come from the grocery store; learning about food origins and meeting the people who grow it can help deepen the connection we have with the foods we eat.
5. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) Day is Wednesday, March 9! What can an RDN do for you? Click here http://www.eatright.org/resource/food/resources/learn-more-about-rdns/what-an-rdn-can-do-for-you to learn why RDN’s are the food and nutrition experts, and how their expertise can help you optimize your health.
If you’re in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, I would love to meet with you! Follow Foodwise Consulting on Facebook or click on the Contact Me tab above to schedule an appointment.